#1 Slow Cooker Pork Chili
This slow cooker pork chili gets its smoky flavor from a combination of chili powder, cumin, oregano. tomatillos, and Mexican-style hot tomato sauce.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch piece
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 3/4 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup lager-style beer (such as Budweiser)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tomatillos, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped $
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, drained
- 1 (7 3/4-ounce) can Mexican hot-style tomato sauce (such as El Paso)
- 1 smoked ham hock (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar $
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 ounces crumbled queso fresco (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 lime wedges
- 1.5 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Juice of One Orange
- Peel of One Orange (to zest)
- Juice of One Lemon
- 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
- 1/4 c. Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 c. Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. Fresh Ginger, minced
- 1 tsp. Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1.5 c. Water
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 T. Cornstarch mixed into 2 T. Water
- 1/2 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Red Pepper, chopped
- 3 Green Onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes, if desired
- Cut the chicken into 2-inch cubes
- Add cubed chicken to slow cooker
- Zest Orange before juicing – scrape orange against a fine grater or zester to remove the outer layer of peel. Reserve for sauce.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl (make sure you mix the 2 T. of cornstarch in with 2 T. of water before adding to sauce mixture – this will prevent lumps)
- Pour sauce ingredients from bowl over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions, green peppers, red peppers and if desired, red pepper flakes, over top of chicken and sauce.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through. You can stir half-way through, if desired.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Note: If you prefer more of a glaze-type sauce do the following after chicken is finished slow cooking –
- Remove chicken and veggies from sauce with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour sauce in a pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- In a separate container, again mix 2 T. water with 2-3 T. cornstarch.
- Pour cornstarch/water mixture into sauce and stir frequently over medium-high heat until thickened.
- Turn stove off, add chicken & veggies back to sauce and stir. Serve over rice or noodles.
Serves: 6 – 8
Sourced from: www.getcrocked.com
#4 Slow Cooker Lasagna
Lasagna is always a hit, and with a slow cooker super easy to make! Serve with a salad and/or some warm bread and you have the perfect meal.
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1(28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1(6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces cottage cheese (we like 2%)
- 1⁄2cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in frypan.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano.
- Cook long enough to get it warm.
- Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.
- Repeat with sauce, noodles and cheeses until all are used up.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
Serves: 6 – 8
Sourced from: www.food.com/Photo Credit: Sharon Chen
#5 Five Spiced Caramel Pork
Weekend or week day, Chinese is always a big hit at dinner time!
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 (about 1kg) pork belly, cut into 3cm pieces
- 8 purple (Asian) eschalots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60ml (1/4 cup) light soy sauce
- 125g (3/4 cup) finely chopped palm sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 8 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- Steamed SunRice Jasmine Fragrant Rice, to serve
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
1. Heat half the oil in a wok over high heat. Add one-third of the pork and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining pork.
2. Heat remaining oil in wok over medium heat. Add eschalot and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until golden. Add pork, soy sauce, palm sugar, water, star anise and five spice. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
3. Add the fish sauce and half the shallot and stir to combine. Place in a serving bowl. Top with remaining shallot. Serve with steamed rice topped with cucumber and coriander leaves.
Serves 6 – 8
Sourced from: www.taste.com.au/Photo Credit: William Meppem
#6 Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Mushrooms
What a perfect combo for meat and mushroom lovers!
- 4 pork chops (boneless pork chops 1/2 inch thick)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 4 oz. mushrooms (sliced and drained)
- 1 1/4 oz. onion soup mix (dry)
- 1/2 c. water (dry white wine)
- 10 3/4 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- Place meat in a greased 3 1/2 to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker.
- Top with the onions and mushrooms.
- Combine soup mix, water, and soup in a bowl.
- Pour over mushrooms, onion and pork chops.
- Cover. Cook on Low heat 6 to 8 hours.
Sourced From: www.getcrocked.com